A Clever Method for Factoring Trinomials
Here is an extension of some basic factoring methods. Although factoring has been lessened in importance in recent years, it is extremely helpful in maintaining algebraic skills and extending logical thinking and problem-solving skills. We want to factor a trinomial like 12x2 + 7x - 12 as the product of two binomials with as little guess-and-check as possible.
- Reinforce knowledge of the distributive property
- Become proficient at finding all the factors of a natural number
- Become proficient at finding a common monomial factor
- Use the grouping method of factoring with proficiency
- Become more proficient at factoring basic trinomials
- Learn a clever technique for factoring more complex trinomials