Collections Containing This Resource
Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts
Reading: Foundational Skills
Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic features of print.
- Follow words from left to right, top to bottom, and page by page.
- Recognize that spoken words are represented in written language by specific sequences of letters.
- Understand that words are separated by spaces in print.
- Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters of the alphabet.
Conventions of Standard English
Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
- Capitalize the first word in a sentence and the pronoun I.
- Recognize and name end punctuation.
- Write a letter or letters for most consonant and short-vowel sounds (phonemes).
- Spell simple words phonetically, drawing on knowledge of sound-letter relationships.
Ohio English Language Arts Standards (2001)
Phonemic Awareness, Word Recognition and Fluency Standard
Use letter-sound correspondence knowledge and structural analysis to decode words.
Grade Level Indicators (Grade Prekindergarten)
Recognize when words share phonemes (sounds) and repeat the common phoneme (e.g., /b/ as in Bob, ball, baby; /t/ as in Matt, kite, boat).
Identify own name in print.
Recognize and name some upper and lower case letters in addition to those in first name.
Recognize that words are made up of letters.
Grade Level Indicators (Grade Kindergarten)
Distinguish and name all upper- and lower-case letters.
Recognize, say and write the common sounds of letters.